Scott and I have discovered our favorite homemade sushi roll combination. It is quite simple and not too expensive so it allows me to indulge in one of my favorite foods more often. Scott has more patience with it than I do but I am learning.
Homemade Sushi rice
*1 1/2 c jasmine extra fancy rice (or short grain rice)
*2 c water
*1/3 c rice vinegar
*2 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
*3 T sugar
*3/4 tsp salt
Roasted Seaweed Sheets (Nori)
Imitation crab legs (sliced in half)
Cream cheese (cut into thin slices and cute in half)
Cucumber (cut off ends and cut into long thin slices)
Avocado (cut in half, remove seed and cut into thin slices)
Tools: Bamboo Sushi Mat, rice paddle, chopsticks (optional)
Sushi Rice Instructions
1. Rinse the rice in a strainer or colander until the water runs clear. Combine with water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Rice should be tender and water should be absorbed. Cool until cool enough to handle.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the rice vinegar, oil, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Cool, then stir into the cooked rice. When you pour this in to the rice it will seem very wet. Keep stirring and the rice will dry as it cools.
Sushi Roll Instructions
1. Place a sheet of Sushi Nori (rough side up) onto the sushi mat (handle nori with dry hands). Spread rice evenly over the nori and leave a 1 inch space at the edge of the nori (handle rice with wet hands). *We like to keep a small bowl of water and towel nearby.
2. Place 1/2 crab leg, 1 piece of cream cheese, cucumber, and avocado.
3. Place your thumbs on the back of the mat and begin rolling away from you. Be sure to support the fillings with the rest of your fingers.
4. Roll sushi until the edge of the nori is placed under the sushi.
5. Shape the roll by pressing lightly with both hands.
6. Remove the sushi mat and slice sushi roll into six to eight pieces.
In the glass is one of my favorite healthier drinks (Ocean Spray sparkling Blueberry Pomegranate juice).